Monday 25 June 2012

Our World Tuesday - Downside

This is the Basilica of St Gregory the Great at Downside, although I have only ever called it just “Downside”.  It’s a Catholic abbey, monastery and school that sits in the “no man’s land” between Chilcompton and Stratton on the Fosse, back in Somerset, near to where I was born.
This picture was taken on a frosty morning, and somehow the light seems to add a kind of painterly feel to the image.  I have to say that I was disappointed that there was a car parked outside the buildings, as otherwise the image would have had a more “timeless” feel.  Oh well.
 You can find more images from around the world at Our World Tuesday.
You can find the latest post to my other blog by clicking the Paying Ready Attention image on the RHS of the screen.
Enjoy the pictures.

18 comments:

  1. frost. i keep forgetting you're in winter mode. i was thinking humidity and fog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. dreamy beautiful image, i would love to walk into it. nice clarity on your macros below.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific capture of a really lovely looking place! Looks like a painting!
    It does look chilly!! Have a great week, Stewart!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a gorgeous shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does have the feel of a painting!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does look like a painting Stewart and agree with above comment that it is atmospheric. Cool shot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a beautiful scene. It is lovely. Thanks for sharing, have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, beautiful and beautiful! I love this... can you tell? lol

    What a magnificent place to visit, I'd love to explore something such as this!

    Have a wonderful week Stewart!

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have just got the green leefs and a taste of the summer, interesting to see this nice pic from downunder!
    Brr...cold..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the frosty effect in this capture Stewart ... It looks like a painting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That does indeed have a paited look and a great capture!Have a great day!

    Shantana

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder if you miss the frosty mornings! They can certainly transform something quite ordinary into something spectacular. I don't know this part of the country but it certainly looks beautiful. I'm saving those parts of Britain I haven't been to for when I'm no longer up to the long distance travelling. Although with my map reading of late there's no knowing where I might end up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing shot! Like a painting. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's gorgeous, Stewart! It almost looks like a painting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agreed about the "painterly feel" to your beautiful photograph, and empathized with the desire to move that car. So many times, I have wanted to do just that when trying to get a photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice and it does have painting look to it!

    ReplyDelete