Monday 24 December 2012

Our World Tuesday - Unwrapped.

I wanted to post something about Christmas, but not with trees and lights and such like.

My wife told me about some old painted wall advertisements that had been revealed by the demolition of a shop in a nearby shopping strip.  So, I went off to have a look.

And they got me thinking - and I realised that these old paintings has just been unwrapped - like the presents many of us will be getting.  And really, what's the best part of unwrapping a present?  It has to be finding something unexpected, but none the less interesting - just like these advertisements.

The real shame is that I think these paintings will be covered up again when the now empty building block is filled.



As I was walking back towards my car, I found this small street tree.  It was shedding it bark - as many Australian trees do in early summer.  And, once again, I though that this tree was being unwrapped to reveal the surprise inside.


I hope you have a great Christmas!  Thank you to everybody who has visited, commented and encouraged me during 2012. 

You can (probably) find more shots from around the world at Our World Tuesday.

Cheers and have a good one.  SM



19 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Stewart! I like the paintings, a shame the building is being demolished. It is fun unwrapping presents, even more to watch the young children unwrapping their presents. I thank for for your comments and for hosting WBW. It has been a great year. Wishing you Happy holidays and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas Stewart!
    Those painting are cool - as is the tree bark!! I LOVE Tree bark!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stewart, those painting are an interesting find indeed! A neat bit of hidden history. I hope you have a wonderful holiday, fun of more interesting surprises!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallo Stewart!My mum's favortite tea, was Bushells tea,what a shame!My daughter is in Melbourne for Christmas with my brothers family!I order her to bring me this famous Australian tea,so memories!!Thank you for sharing!Have a Merry Christmas with your family!
    Dimi..

    ReplyDelete
  5. may every day reveal some bit of surprise. blessings to you and yours, stewart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nice way to tie it all in to Christmas time. You should include that mural on Oakland Daily Photo's Monday Mural. A nice Christmas to you and yours Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always wall paintings on the street are interesting.
    Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unwrapping can come in so many ways.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely surprises here. I especially loved the tree bark. May you and your loved ones continue to find lots of treasures all throughout the year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful reminder, that it is the inside, which counts.

    Please have you and yours a wonderful Christmas.

    daily athens photo

    ReplyDelete
  11. The tree bark is amazing. So are the ads on the wall. Thanks for sharing your world with us, and merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice one Stewart and yes, a little of yesteryear revealed there for the Bushells tea especially

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely shots - and thoughts!

    May your new year be filled with similar revelations of lovely unexpected things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I look forward to what you might reveal next. Merry Christmas Stewart to you and your family and thank-you for the many amusing comments you leave on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great captures!
    Merry Christmas!
    Enjoy the Seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas!!! Love the vintage sign...and hope it gets featured some way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Unwrapping--perfect, a different perspective on the things we consider ordinary.

    ReplyDelete